avalon-dev mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mailing list subscription bad on the site
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2003 22:36:12 GMT
On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 02:56, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Is this really optimal?
> The phrase "[manually] replace the old HTML files ... with the newly
> generated...", sounds like a perfect candidate of MLMU(tm) (manual labour
> mess-up)...
> Wouldn't it be better that the cron job does all of the above, and if that
> takes too much CPU, make it happen less frequently?

Well, the trick is setting where the various tools output the results.
For example, we could set up the avalon-site module so that the command
"maven site" placed the output in "site" instead of "target/site".

But it's tricker for project specific documentation since that would
require sending the generated results to a directory outside of the
project root space, ie- generating docs for merlin would be maven would
have to output the generated HTML also to "avalon-site/site" which is
outside of the maven project directories.

An alternative would be to place ALL documentation into avalon-site but
I don't think anyone wants to do that.

Finally, having the actual generated HTML all in one location separate
from targets and build directories helps ensure that no one accidentally
overwrites the site.  It means you need to be a little more careful and
a little more intentional about releasing anything.  And intentionality
isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If you want to try to come up with a better process and more automation,
I don't think anyone will object too loudly.  One solution would be to
create an custom avalon-site plugin for maven.  Or perhaps at least
something that would automatically do the CVS import into
avalon-site/site, maybe something like "maven site:avalon-deploy".  That
could at least make it easier for the subprojects to release
documentation.  Yeah, that might be worth working on.

--
 jaaron  <http://jadetower.org>