avalon-dev mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mailing list subscription bad on the site
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2003 20:50:49 GMT
On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 01:33, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 December 2003 04:06, Daniel Dekany wrote:
> > On http://avalon.apache.org/merlin/mail-lists.html the (un)subsciprion
> > mailto-s seems to me bad, mail bunches:
> >
> > avalon-users-subscribe@avalon.apache.org
> >
> > (I have figured out that it meant to be
> > users-subscribe@avalon.apache.org, so I'm here. Maybe it is a deliberate
> > mistake to filter users who is not very inventive? :))
>
> Yeah, survival of the fittest ;o)
> Thanks for pointing it out.
>
> Gang,
> There is a mailing-list.xml in avalon-site that correctly points to the right
> mailing list subscription services, but not used from the left-hand
> navigation bar.
>
> But the site/*/mail-lists.html is incorrectly, not only for "merlin", but for
> "components" and "excalibur" as well. I suspect they are generated from Maven
> project descriptors.

Yep.

The mailing-list.xml version is in the avalon-site CVS module and is
linked to from those pages via the navigation.xml sidebar.  All the
other mailing list pages you see are those auto-generated by Maven (ie-
the info is incorrect in the project specific project.xml pages).

> What else is needed to be changed?
> How to regenerate site? Automatic?

Note to self: Need to add this to the wiki somewhere.

Leo has a cron job that runs every couple of hours which checks out
(does a cvs update actually) everything in the avalon-site/site module.
This is what you see on the website.  So in order to do an update you
must:

   1. Change the XML or HTML source
   2. Generate the html site (via maven usually)
   3. Replace the old HTML files in avalon-site/site with the newly
generated ones via import or copy
   4. Commit both changes to the source and the newly generated pages to
CVS (only commit what you need.  No need to regenerate the whole site if
it's not necessary)
   5.  Wait a couple hours to see what you messed up. :)

--
 jaaron  <http://jadetower.org>