avalon-dev mailing list archives

From J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [merlin] fine grain component startup control
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2003 13:54:58 GMT
On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 00:49, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 December 2003 06:29, Farr, Aaron wrote:
> > 3. Meta level dependencies don't work here.  We are not talking about
> > something that the client needs from the service manager, we're talking
> > about something it looks up via JNDI.  Perhaps our notion of dependency
> > needs to expand.
>
> IMHO, No, we don't need to expand the notion of dependency.
> We need to remove the "static assembly" and introduce a "Service Availability"
> contract.

<snip>

> Making sense?

Yes.  This is along the ideas of container events that has been
discussed before.  The concept was that container extensions could be
better implemented if the container used some sort of event model for
lifecycle and deployment actions.

As soon as I finish these finals, I'll start thinking about it more.

> As for now, I would suggest that your client is not so "greedy".

Yes, "for now"  But I think that in any case, such solutions are just a
hack waiting for a the better solution of "Service Availability" or
better startup control.

--
 jaaron  <http://jadetower.org>