avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject what to do with excalibur???
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:06:36 GMT
(ringing the alarm bell here :D)

Hi gang!

I started on updated excalibur releases two-and-a-half weeks ago. Did
the maven conversion, screwed up (still in the process of fixing) gump,
built some candidates, sollicited help and feedback.

A little feedback came, but no help. Despite making every effort to make
it easy to dig in and do the work.

Why is that? Doesn't anyone need or want these components? (cocoon, for
example, was released on schedule, without them; seems they're fine with
cvs snapshots)

I'm wondering whether I should just abort building these releases and
save myself some work (no, I won't be using these packages myself, which
was a warning sign I ignored, figuring I owe my share of "legacy support
work").

Fact of life is that the only materials in active development in
excalibur cvs are the components directly used by cocoon, and these are
only developed actively when cocoon needs a change (or a bugfix).

It smells of potential code rot. As do the testcases, that have probably
been failing for ages.

what do we do?

- LSD