avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ServiceManager and ComponentManager
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:38:10 GMT
Jonathan Hawkes wrote:
> Just a question out of curiosity.  Why is ComponentManager
> deprecated?  It appears that the only difference between the
> Component* API and the Service* API is the name.  So, why is
> "service" a better name for a component?

There's another (the only real) difference: ComponentManager references
the Component interface, whereas ServiceManager just references Object.
This allows you to use instances of classes as component even if they do
not implement Component.

We chose service as an alternative term to component. The two are
usually used interchangably throughout avalon.

cheers!

- LSd