avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: shameless plug: articles on COP, other stuff
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:59:19 GMT
Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> I like this page:
>> http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/jicarilla/StoryOfThe6LifecycleMethods
>
> I don't.
>
> The idea of the lifecycle methods is that they are called from outside
> at various points in their lifetime. Constructors can only be called
> once, so it seems not very useful to put the lifecycle methods in a
> constructor.

Indeed! Catch: the resource delivery methods are, in fact, in practice,
all called exactly once, in a specific order, right after each other, at
startup. I bought the "seperation theme" for several years, then
realized I had never seen a component that benefited from it!

In other words: these methods are called from the outside exactly after
construction, and only once. So it seems not very useful to have an
artificial seperation, when, in fact, there is none :D

The same applies, by-the-way, to initialize()/start() and
dispose()/stop(). In practice, they're all only ever called once, and
right after each other.

> Also, the detailed strategy reminds me of my childhood:
>
> Mother: You've got to clean up that mess you call your room!
>
> Ulrich: Ok, I'll do that... *shuffle, shuffle, shuffle* ... DONE!!!
>
> Mother: Well, it looks neat now. But you just took everything and shoved
> it under the bed.
>
> Ulrich: Yeah, that's called refactoring.

ROTFL! I love it...you should elaborate on that somewhat and post it
somewhere for the whole world to see :D. It's a nice example of how
different you and I really think...power of unit testing:

	Mother: but you won't be able to find anything!

	Leo: well, I just tried that for everything in my room, and I
              can still find everything within a second-and-a-half.

:D. I could go on and on and on...programmer time vs resource cost:

         Mother: but what if nothing more will fit under your bed!

         Leo: well, I can always get myself a bigger bed, can't I?
              Besides, I feel going out to play soccer is more important
              than saving floor space. I'll worry about floor space when
              I grow up :D

cheers!

> Ulrich (who grew up a bit since then ;-)

- Leo (who, after looking around the total mess scattered throughout his
room, somewhat radially organized around his desk, decides he hasn't
grown up just yet ;-)