avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [excalibur] cvs surgery, restructuring, gump
Date Sun, 09 Nov 2003 18:29:46 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> I don't have time right now, to investigate any further, but on
> a first look, I didn't saw the docs of e.g. the sourceresolve
> or the xmlutils package anymore.

that's right. In the old situation, we effectively had about a page and
a half of documentation for a package, and then about 3 1/2 pages of
tool-aiding sourcefiles (tabs.xml, navigation.xml, ...) of supporting
materials, not to mention complicated, fragile build setups, and 3
different tools in place.

What we put in place recently for the avalon site is a massive
simplification. Everything is back to good ol' ugly anakia format (with
maven's extensions). All sources for the excalibur website now live in a
single tree inside avalon-excalibur/site/xdocs.

The downside is that there is some manual conversion work to be done on
the documentation files (until someone writes the long overdue
anakia->document-v11.dtd xsl sheets). Someone needs to take the xml
files in avalon-sandbox/excalibur-old-materials/*/src/xdocs/*, convert
them to anakia format (replacing <section/> with <s1/>/<s2/>/<s3/>
and
similar changes), then place the converted versions in
avalon-excalibur/site/xdocs. Or someone should write a conversion tool.

It all ain't very pretty, but its pragmatic.

cheers,

- LSD