avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [ANN] C++ Port of Avalon Framework
Date Sun, 09 Nov 2003 16:20:20 GMT
> I'd like to inform all of you, that the company I work for (www.swac.de)
has
> decided to release one of our key products under opensource license. This
> product uses our inhouse developed C++ port of Jakarta Avalon Framework

Why don't you contribute the port to the Apache Avalon project?  There is a
port for C# also in process.

> I'm not quite able to tell whether CCAvalon can be considered as being
> "derived product"

The fact that you, yourself, refer to it as a port ought to be suggestive.

> I'm not in any way aspiring (at least no yet) at making CCAvalon an
official
> product of ASF (though I'd be very happy if it happens), but if there will
> be any interest, I'm willing to do the necessary.

The Avalon PMC would have to decide to accept the project, and it would come
in  through the Apache Incubator, where the various IP issues would be
resolved.

One of the topics currently under discussion relates to distributed
containers.  It would be a very interesting idea to see Avalon adopt SOAP as
a means for communication between distributed components.  This would allow
components in Avalon for Java, Avalon for C# and Avalon for C to
inter-operate.

As a side note, I would suggest that any C/C++ port of Avalon ought to also
be based upon APR, which would vastly improve the portability of the code.

	--- Noel