avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - SPO)" <hamilton.olive...@agenciaclick.com.br>
Subject Re: shameless plug: articles on COP, other stuff
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:58:05 GMT
-----Mensagem original-----
De: Ulrich Mayring [mailto:ulim@denic.de]

> Very hard, but all I said was I'd rather do that than do unit-testing ;-)
>
> The thing is that of the bugs I have in my software, 99% would not have
> been caught by unit tests, because they are runtime bugs (integration,
> error management, external resources etc.). The remaining 1% are trivial
> bugs such as typos, which take me about 1 minute to fix.
>
> I do think that for developing frameworks with many well-defined
> interfaces there may be some value in unit testing.

Unit testing is not only about trivial testing. For instance we have here a
lot of EJB (CMP) and business delegators and team of three developers. Unit
testings running on the buil machine (CruiseControl rules) guarantees that
one developer don't mess other things that he didn't even know or care
about.

Or situation is even worse when we think about the database model that is
controlled by another team that lives in another state. Our test cases will
show up if the other team changed something and didn't tell us.

hammett