avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Merlin service registry
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2003 21:00:55 GMT

Yannick Menager wrote:

> Following previous thread '[RT] Merlin Service autoassembly / plugin
> infrastructure', I'm going to start writing some code for merlin. So
> if anybody has any objections do it now before I waste too much of my
> time *grin*

No objections here !

> The first step will be to create a service registry functionality.
>
> This will  allows merlin (at startup) to go through all the jarfiles
> in the respository, and find out all services and implementations of
> that service ( of course for performance reasons it will create an
> index so that it only has to do it once ).
>
> That will later gives the possibility to request merlin to
> automatically find all services that implement a certain service.

While your at it - it would be very helpful if you also index the
manifest entries concerning spec and vendor.  This would enable us to
leverage the respository as a source for jar files matching extension
jar file dependency statements.  If this doesn't make a lot of sense I
can put together some pointers to the relevant content in the
avalon/merlin/extension package.

Cheers, Steve.

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org