avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Managing the Duality of C# and Java
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:39:04 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Ok. We are faced with a soon release of Avalon#, with a language most of us
> don't know a great deal about.  The language barrier should not stop us,
> but
> we do have some things we need to manage.  This is a PMC discussion, but I
> CC'd developers so they can eavesdrop.
>
> The first order of business is ensuring the licensing of the code.  Is it
> directly making use of GPL or LGPL code?  I.e. if Log4Net is GPL/LPGL then
> we cannot have it in CVS, and we would have to develop a real way to
> separate
> its use completely.  Again, NUnit and Nant are used.  Nant is a tool,
> and as
> such does not necessarily require that we exclude its use, just that we
> require
> our users to install it separately.  It does have an installer.  NUnit is a
> bit different, and if I recall has what I thought was a compatible license.
> We need to verify that.  Also, we need to know if there are any other 3rd
> party libraries/utilities.  The last time I checked, I think we are in the
> clear--we just need to do another verification before any release is
> concidered.

Log4Net is clear: ASL license
NAnt must be a separate download, and the best we can do is provide a link
to their web page.  It is GPL, but it is a tool that is meant to be installed,
and it uses an XML file just like ANT to do the build.
NUnit is a little less clear.  It uses the "zlib/libpng License", does anyone
know if that works with ASL?  The link is here:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/nunit/nunit20/license.rtf

The text is:

Copyright © 2002-2003 James W. Newkirk, Michael C. Two, Alexei A. Vorontsov,
Charlie Poole
Copyright © 2000-2003 Philip A. Craig

This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In
no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of
this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose, including
commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely, subject to
the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim
that you wrote the original software. If you use this software in a product, an
acknowledgment (see the following) in the product documentation is required.

Portions Copyright © 2002-2003 James W. Newkirk, Michael C. Two, Alexei A.
Vorontsov, Charlie Poole or Copyright © 2000-2003 Philip A. Craig

2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be
misrepresented as being the original software.

3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.

It looks compatible to me.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin