avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] What about Magic and Avalon?
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:31:14 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> Leo Simons wrote:
>>
>>> Lies, damn, lies, and some statistics:
>>>
>>>                 Files           Lines
>>> -------------------------------------
>>> Pico     |       164             8495 51
>>> Fortress |       433            26115 60
>>> Phoenix  |       924            69230 75
>>> Merlin   |      2130            88623 41
>>

>> Interesting - now how about turning this is something at least
>> approaching anything useful.
>

> I suck at statistics. I added big fat disclaimers. Don't read anything
> into it. Its bogus. Only considering, for example, that every pico
> sourcefile has 5 lines of license header, and we have like 25.
>
> What would be useful? We could do some work on that. But I doubt it'd
> help us get anywhere.

Use a Jdepend analysis on it.  It does things like cyclic dependency checking,
code complexity checking, as well as a SLOC count.  SLOC is Source Lines of
Code--so it skips comments and catches things like two commands on the same
line.

For instance:

/* really long line */ int i = 2; i *= 32; i <<= 4;

in your approach would be counted as one line, but with a sloc count would be
three lines.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin