avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: shameless plug: articles on COP, other stuff
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:36:17 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

> Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - SPO) wrote:
>
>> I give up.
>

> don't take it too seriously, dude! Ulrich is dead wrong in considering
> unit testing a bad idea. You know that, I know that, but yet here @
> avalon we, in practice, follow more of his methodology (little unit
> testing).....so he might actually have a point ;)

Check out the def for Doctine:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=doctrine

Using the second and third definitions, both points of view can be described
as doctrine.

Putting on my ill-fitting liberal's hat (I don't wear it much ;P), we should
tolerate different development doctrines as much as possible.  It just isn't
worth a holy war over.

The thing is, when it comes to software development, we have not discovered
absolute truth, so there is truth to be found in all of the doctrines that
abound: CMM, RUP, TDD, XP, etc.

In many cases, what works for one group will never work for another.  It's
just the nature of the beast.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin