avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <ulr...@mayring.de>
Subject Re: shameless plug: articles on COP, other stuff
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:41:58 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

> Indeed! Catch: the resource delivery methods are, in fact, in practice,
> all called exactly once, in a specific order, right after each other, at
> startup. I bought the "seperation theme" for several years, then
> realized I had never seen a component that benefited from it!

I don't buy that these methods can only be called once. It may be
implemented this way currently, but it is not ideal. Just prefix the
lifecycle methods with a "re" and you'll see which ones would benefit
from being called again (e.g. reconfigurable).

> The same applies, by-the-way, to initialize()/start() and
> dispose()/stop(). In practice, they're all only ever called once, and
> right after each other.

> ROTFL! I love it...you should elaborate on that somewhat and post it
> somewhere for the whole world to see :D. It's a nice example of how
> different you and I really think...power of unit testing:
>
>         Mother: but you won't be able to find anything!
>
>         Leo: well, I just tried that for everything in my room, and I
>               can still find everything within a second-and-a-half.

But I can take something and replace it with a better and newer version
without affecting the position of anything else - because I keep my
things nice and seperate and not lumped together :)

And I hate unit-testing, I'd rather prove my code correct ;-)

Ulrich