avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why does Block.lookup throws Exception?
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:26:09 GMT

Eric Pugh wrote:

>That would be great, because I assume that Merlin will hollar if there is a
>config error etc, I basically catch teh Exception and throw a
>NestableRuntimeException.

Yep - asssumption is correct.

>Next question..
>
>How do I get the darn mimetype component to load..
>

><container name="fulcrum">
>   <classloader>
>     <classpath>
>       <repository>
>         <resource id="fulcrum:fulcrum-mimetype-api" version="1.0-alpha-4"/>
>         <resource id="fulcrum:fulcrum-mimetype-impl"
>version="1.0-alpha-4"/>
>       </repository>
>     </classpath>
>   </classloader>
>   <component name="mimetype"
>class="org.apache.fulcrum.mimetype.DefaultMimeTypeService"/>
>
></container>
>
>Notice I bumped the versions, you need to build locally and deploy..   When
>I do a lookup, I do this:
>(MimeTypeService)merlin.lookup("fulcrum/mimetype")

Don't have the code in front of me just at the moment but you should be
using "/fulcrum/mimetype" (i.e. an absolute path).  Remember that your
invoking this from the root container - unlike the testcase where you
can conviniently use a relative reference to the test container.

>I also tried
>(MimeTypeService)merlin.lookup("mimetype")
>
>Part of me feels like though that the block info included in the impl jar
>should mean I don't need to declare this..

You don't need to do this.  If the <component> is declared Merlin will
default to activating component on container deployment.

>Not sure though..  Right now I
>just get back a null..

That's not good.  You should actually be getting an IlegalArgumentException.

>I can commit the code if that helps..

Yep - what's the directory path that your committing to?

Stephen.

>Eric

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org