avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [repository] mime type addition?
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:59:32 GMT

Eric Pugh wrote:

>I guess one reason though to explicitly load up example.jar and
>example.jar.meta is that when I want to setup my own local repository it's
>easy, all I need to do is have a working webserver.  additionally, if I want
>my repository to be just a file system, then it is the same...
>
>One of the nice things about the maven repository was that setting up our
>own corporate one was dirt simple, and runs nicely on IIS.  As soon as you
>need to configure meta mimetype you are going to have sysadmins telling you
>"No!"...

But that's ok.  The client make make assumptions about a document named
xxxx.jar.meta - but if the client  ties to get this using a mime type
first - then the server can resolve this using a dozen different
mecanisms.  That's the important point - we can transfer the
implementation decision to the server and still maintain a fallback
strategy on the client that is consitent with your local filesystem model.

Cheers, Steve.