avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [repository] mime type addition?
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:58:57 GMT

Alex Karasulu wrote:

>Ok I'm a little dense so bear with me.  I see the webserver now recognizes
>and sets the mime type based on the .meta file extension.  Why is this so
>significant to us?

It means that the client application (i.e. the repository implementation
classes) can take advantate of the x-meta mime type.  Based on the user
supply of a group and artifact we can make a request for the meta data
without resorting to a url that exposes anything more than the fgroup
and artifact.

Specifically:

    http://www.apache.org/~mcconnell/test/example

This url is sufficient for the retrival of the jar (a mime type) and the
meta about the jar (another mime type). Instead of building an explict
url to a <something>.meta - we can use HTTP content rules to get what we
want (jar versus meta data about the jar).  This means that the question
of how meta data is associated with an artifact is no longer a client
concern - its a server implementation concern.

>Your example is also very confusing to me as well.  Can you explain it?  Why
>would trying to get http://www.apache.org/~mcconnell/test/example work.  You
>only have the following in this directory:
>
>example.jar
>example.jar.meta

Yep.

The artifact url is  http://www.apache.org/~mcconnell/test/example

Relative to that artifact there are a number of resources that are
potentially resolvable - example.jar and example.jar.meta.  According o
the HTTP protocol spec we can set an "Accept" request property to guide
the server in terms of content negotiation.  I.e. the group/artifact is
sufficent with respect to url - the rest can be resolved using content
negotiation support.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/content-negotiation.html

Steve.

(who is figuring this stuff out as he goes along).

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org