avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Merlin runtime plugins
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:01:16 GMT

Hi Yannick:

I have you message on the uyser list flagged for followup.

See notes in-line.

Yannick Menager wrote:

> I've been looking everywhere, and I'm confused how I can implements
> plugin components in merlin.

Can you explain in more detail what you mean by a plugin.  There are
several access points in Merlin already and more comming - but an
outline of what you want to do will help.

> If I understand correctly:
>
> - ServiceSelector is not supported by Merlin

Correct - the framework spec on this subject is not sufficient.

> - Dependencies are hardcoded using the @avalon.dependency tag
>
> So how can I implement runtime plugin functionality in my app ?

If you want to select something then presumably you have some selection
criteria in mind. A generic container such as Merlin does not know what
you intentions are nor anything about a selection criteria or candidate
ranking strategy.  What this means is that you need to supply this logic
though a service defintion and an implementation.

I.e. define your seelction service:

   public interface MySelectionService
   {
          Thing selectSomething( MyCriteria criteria );
   }

The define you component that implements MySelectionService and includes
all of the selection semantics that are specific to the domain you are
concerned with.

Limitation: as you mentioned Merlin requires that you declare
dependencies for a component at the level of a type (i.e. dependencies
are static).  This means that if you want to slect against a merlin
establish service, then you need to declare dependencies on all of the
different potential types that you are going to select against.  This is
ok in scenarios such a keystor and you selecting between a personal
keystore for signing as opposed to a keystore for trusted keys (i.e. the
selection set is static).  If the selection set is dynamic then you need
to roll-your-own solution ... at least for the moment.  A similar
requirement exists in the Turbine Fulcrum project and its a subject I've
been working on - i.e. if you not in a desperate hurry then you get this
for free sometime soon.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell