avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Avalon Components project
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:25:41 GMT

Leo Simons wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> The proposal is a Avalon Component project here at Apache - seperate
>> but aligned with Avalon.

<snip/>

> Seriously, I think a smart plan is to see what flows from the
> repository@apache.org discussion, see what kind of code we want to
> have in merlin based on that, and perhaps decouple a large part of
> that and combine it with other code efforts in a new project that
> starts off in the incubator.
>
> A possible destination for that would be under ant, under maven, under
> avalon, or TLP.

I don't see the repository@ iniative doing much more than defining a
protocol.  After that there is the question of tools and services on
either end of the repository - and about the only thing that seems to be
clear is that there is very little interest in anything more than
plumbing.  That means (IMVHO) that the smart stuff will be done here at
Avalon.  Secondly - the management of a component repository project is
much more about people, community and focus - and honestly - that's not
going to come out of any of the things being discussed externally.

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org