avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Avalon Components project
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:33:20 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 November 2003 17:32, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>>Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>

>>>LGPL is probably compatible with ASL, BUT ASF has said NO on being
>>>involved, I think largely due to unclarities of what the license actually
>>>demands from Apache _users_, more than ASF itself !!
>>
>>This is a point that I didn't think about earlier. Just to absolutely
>>clear - in the case of the Hibernate Component - at is using LGPL it is
>>subject to the LGPL by viral virtue - hense the requirement to license
>>the Hibernate Component under the LGPL and not under ASL.  Therefore the
>>requirement is created for a place to put this LGPL Hibernate Component
>>outside of ASF space pending an explicit release of the viral
>>association by the licensor.  However - this means that anything using
>>the LPGL Hibernate Component is by default pushed out as well.  Ummm, I
>>starting to understand the religous impliciations and the reason for
>>zero-tolerance on LGPL.
>

> Confusing, isn't it??
>
> For us, I think it is just a matter of accepting the decision. Those guys have
> argued over this for months, I'm sure...

Since forever.  THere is a lot of good software out there that we can't use
because of a stupid license.  That sucks.  With every new version of the (L)GPL
licenses someone tries to make an opening in their interpretation of the
legalese to allow us to use it...

No luck.

> Your conclusion is probably correct, the Hibernate component need to isolate
> itself from Apache source. The best would be that Hibernate published a set
> of interfaces under BSD-style, and we could compile/distribute against those
> interfaces, and the end-users download from Hibernate.

If the interface is ASL, and packaged separately, then we might could get around
some of the licensing issues.  The problem is the implementation.

> If that is not acheivable, I don't see any other choice than an SF-based
> sidearm of the ASF-based one. I think it could be doable...

There is still the issue of each SF community being required to sort out its
licensing.  All we are doing is saying "here, you worry about it".