avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Avalon Components project
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:37:21 GMT

Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Tuesday 11 November 2003 19:48, Eric Pugh wrote:
>

>>And, since I have lots of ideas for components that all have licensing
>>issues, why not have a sf.net site?  Maybe instead of Avalonia, just call
>>it avalon-components..
>>

>I, for one, agree... I think the only issue with the more hard core Apache
>guys (I'm not pointing a big finger at you Stephen) is the "endorsement",
>implied or otherwise, that Avalonia or avalon-components, is given.

IM[HC]O, there are a number of different subjects

(a) the barrier to entry
(b) licensing
(c) endorcement

The barrier to entry is a pure policy decision that can be made by the
entity that is asserting oversite - this should not be used as an
argument for or against ASF versus SF.  Equally components using non-ASF
compatible resources should not impact a ASF/SF decision bacause this is
simply a question of development time downloading (and seperate from
deployment). Lastly - the question of endorcement - AFAICS, endorcement
by Avalon requires oversite by Avalon which leads me to an alternative
proposition.

The proposal is a Avalon Component project here at Apache - seperate but
aligned with Avalon.  The project would establish policies that
facilitated a lower barrier to entry of new component iniatives
(typically micro-projects dealing with a specific component
implementation) much in the same way that common manages new projects.
We could bootstrap the thing by transfering the current
avalon-components cvs to the new project and possibly well as
incorporation of iniative such the FTP project.

In this scenario - the new project would establish a PMC responsible for
oversite, content would be licensed under ASL, and the relationship
between Avalon and the new project would include our focus on the tools
and technologies dealing with aspects such as technical complicance,
validation test suites, component repository tools, etc.

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org