avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Shash Chatterjee <sh...@badfw.org>
Subject Re: Merging plan (was Build process in maven?)
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2003 14:52:23 GMT
If it is useful for anybody, in Keel (http://www.keelframework.org) we
have an Avalon script service, with two implementations of the service
interface: Jelly and BSH (I have tested JavaScript, NetRexx, and TCL).
I have attached the service interface.

This interface (as I would expect other similar services to do), exposes
arbitrary objects to the underlying script engine.  Leo's concern in a
separate post about the script causing havoc is very valid, depends on
what is exposed!

On a separate but related topic, we seem to have the same needs and
also reinventing the wheel, given the number of Jelly service
implementations we  have.  This is at least one of the major issues that
COP was intended to solve, or so I thought!  We talk about component
repositories, but I think something that might help is an Avalon/Apache
hosted project of Avalon service interfaces (roles), that could then be
augmented with a directory that would point to all the available
implementations.  There are a plethora of "lightweight" IOC containers
that can manage different components with varied configuration (i.e.
instantiate a bean, provide different config to each instance), which
Avalon can do as well.  But Avalon containers are among a much smaller
set that allow looking up of multiple implementations of the same
interface, as well as configuring them differently.  We should take more
advantage of that, and avoid 1:1 relationships of
interfaces/implementations.

Shash