avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: repository boostrapping
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2003 02:05:46 GMT

aok123@bellsouth.net wrote:

>Sorry forgot to ask another Q.
>
>So you intend to have maven generate the build descriptor for the jar (used to calculate
the URL of the properties file artifact to get from repo) and the properties file with the
dependencies to be put up on the repo?

>I'm getting confused. If we can generate the property file with dependency URLs then what's
so bad for us to just bundle the properties file into the jar and use it as a jar resource
rather than a repostory artifact?  Why have the extra properties file generated by the build
stored separately on the repo from the jar that the same build generated?

The spi project does not know what version the impl is at and this
information is not available in the SPI POM.  The only place that this
info is available is in the impl POM. All we have to do is generate the
list of deopendent artifacts to a dependency descriptor file and add the
impl artifact address to the list, then name the file based on the spi
version that we can get from the impl POM dependency info.

The *massive* plus is that we enable auto-updating - because we can
apply the same pattern to the kernel boostrap.

Let me know if this clears things up.

Steve.

>Alex

Stephen J. McConnell