avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject RE: [merlin][newbie] Can't build from tree
Date Sat, 08 Nov 2003 04:45:18 GMT
> > Another OS X issue is that in OS X /etc/passwd is not the system of
> > record.
>
> maybe you could bypass this by getting the sytem env variable
> "SHELL"

In UNIX shell's there is a big problem.  I cannot just execute 'echo $SHELL'
because this will not handle macro expansion.  You just get back a '$SHELL'
from echo.

However I can just do an env on the system and load all the parameters at
Env.class static initialization time.

Let me see what the command is first to get OS X to return the user shell.
I think I fudged it up by attempting to read the /etc/passwd file.

I think I hate environment properties now.

Alex