avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [OT] How old are you?
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 01:45:23 GMT
On Friday 07 November 2003 05:42, Leo Sutic wrote:
> I feel for the people who had to suffer young "hip"
> COBOL coders walking around and spreading buzzwords all over
> the place... :)

;o)  The "really hip" people (who had a brain) was buzzing all over the place
over APL (A Programming Language). More obfuscated language is hard to come
by, but great in solving matrix solveable algorithms.

> A lecturer at KTH told me about coding way-back-when: You turned
> in your code on cards to the computer operator and had them processed.
> Then, whenever the computer was finished (depending on load and other
> people's jobs queued up to go), the operator would give you back a
> printout of the program output. (For you real young ones - yes
> that means *you* in particular - by "computer operator" I mean an
> actual human being.)

When I got to LTH (for non-swedish members, KTH = Royal Polytechnic Uni,
LTH=Lunds Polytechnic Uni, 2 of the 3 top engineering Us there), we were
instructed of those procedures.
The distribution of output, however, was really neat; The top card contained
stuff like user name, banner type, printer type, but also distribution center
(there were something like 4-5 of them), where you would pick up the output.
You could also say; By Mail, postal service that is!!!

However, a great deal of time was explained on it, and I never used it beyond
the "training". The on-line terminals were "too cool", and at night you could
get access to vector terminals (read graphics), which had no automatic
refresh, it was a manual operation to clear the screen physically, and then
the program could draw a new image by vector coordinates again.

> Turnaround times were fast at night when almost no one used the
> computer - only about two hours.

And better yet; The CPU time cost USD500 per hour on a VAX and USD 1200 on the
Sperry Univac, but students didn't have to pay, just wait....

> Now back to my "Component Framework for Front Panel Switches"...

I say IMSAI 8080!!!!  Will your framework be useful for bootstrapping that
machine?

Cheers
Niclas