avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject RE: Repository, Bootstrapping and Embedding
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2003 04:20:26 GMT
> >Excuse the lag I just got back from dinner with the family and put my
> >daughter to sleep.
> >

> Excuses will not be tolerated!

You've got to be single and without children to be as active and online as
you are ;-).

> >Will do then let's suspend development for now on the trunk, and move a
> copy
> >of the just the repository group to the sandbox.  You want me to do this
> or
> >are you there by now.
> >

> I'm a LSOAB.
> You do it!

You got it! It's done. See avalon-sandbox/repository!

<lots-o-snippin-goin-on-here/>

> >We have no choice until the POM lives inside a database and we can access
> >the database and query it through some line protocol like maybe hmmm
> LDAP!
> >

> LOL
>
> Just for reference, I've been playing around with jelly based gernation
> of a ClassLoaderDirective class based on POM info.  Its kind of cool -
> but that is some meta info missing.  If I want to use the repository to
> lauch OpenIM - somewhere I need to be able to declare the containment
> dependency.  This take me back to the topic of "what is an aplication".

I believe apps are artifacts that can be kept in the repo with its
dependencies.  There are no limitations.  Why treat application artifacts
any differently?  Yes this needs to be explored.  Best place to start is to
just keep the apps in the repo and discover the different parameters outside
of other artifacts they may require.  Sense and response (I call it try it
and see) is a good methodology to use for discovering what more we need to
do to handle apps.

Alex