avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [OT] How old are you?
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2003 21:42:26 GMT
> From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
>
> LOL - actually, it was Fortan!

I feel for the people who had to suffer young "hip"
COBOL coders walking around and spreading buzzwords all over
the place... :)

A lecturer at KTH told me about coding way-back-when: You turned
in your code on cards to the computer operator and had them processed.
Then, whenever the computer was finished (depending on load and other
people's jobs queued up to go), the operator would give you back a
printout of the program output. (For you real young ones - yes
that means *you* in particular - by "computer operator" I mean an
actual human being.)

Turnaround times were fast at night when almost no one used the
computer - only about two hours.

He told me that you could see if it had gone well or not almost
just by looking at the size of the printout. If unlucky, it would
be a single line strip of paper with the text

   "SYNTAX ERROR"

or similar.

Now back to my "Component Framework for Front Panel Switches"...

/LS