avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Timothy Bennett" <exterminat...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [avalon-jetty] Status update
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 02:11:29 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen McConnell" <mcconnell@apache.org>
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.jakarta.avalon.devel
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 6:22 PM
Subject: Re: [avalon-jetty] Status update

> What can I say - this is *really* nice!
> Well done.

Credit goes mostly to Howard Henson.  Kudos to him for a great
component/block.

> I've updated the dependencies so that everything will build and deploy
> off the repository.  I also added a standalone deployment descriptor
> that you can run directly from merlin:
>
>   $ merlin http://dpml.net/avalon-http/blocks/avalon-http-1.3.block
>
> then check results my pointing your browser to:
>
>   http://localhost:8080/example/servlets

This is one of the things I like merlin -- executing a remote deployment
descriptor.

> I did had a problem concerning the SessionManager that may have crept in
> as a result of the spi/impl separation.  The value passed to the web-app
> is a jetty SessionManager but the value acquired from the service
> manager is a http.SessionManager (resulting in a class cast exception).
> I've changed the http.SessionManager to extend jetty.SessionManager in
> the SPI package as a temporary solution to get things going.
>
> However - we will need to sort this out in order for the SPI to be
> independent of the jetty implementation (which I think we can do by
> building a session instance dynamically based on meta-info pulled in
> from the servlet class) and maybe through this we can eliminate the need
> for servlet specific session classes which would bring things down to
> just the servlet class and @avalon tags.

Yeah.  This is the one area of the original Jetty-Phoenix block that was a
bit troublesome porting to avalon-meta tags and the spi/api package
separation.  It is really clumsy now, but we will sort it out.

> Thanks again for getting this in place!

It's just the beginning...  BTW... Is is possible for some *official*
announcement in it's own thread to be made on the avalon users list?  There
are a number of Avalon users that I believe have been waiting for this port.