avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [site] mavenization near completion
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:00:50 GMT
Farr, Aaron wrote:
 > worry about deployment (still want to use the
> cvs update cron job?).

I suggest just biting the bullet and doing

1) disable the update cronjob (its mine)

ssh leosimons@cvs.apache.org
umask 002
crontab -l > crontab
crontab -R

2) remove the avalon-site/site content alltogether

cd /home/cvs/avalon-site
mkdir -p ~/cvsbackup/avalon-site
mv site ~/cvsbackup/avalon-site

(ie hack cvs; remove the site directory on the server)

3) generate all the new content and put it in avalon-site/site, then do
a really big 'cvs import'

4) update the live site

  cd
  mkdir -p ~/newsite
  cd ~/newsite
  cvs -z3 -d /home/cvs co avalon-site/site
  cd /www/avalon.apache.org
  mkdir -p ~/sitebackup
  mv * ~/sitebackup
  mv ~/newsite/avalon-site/site/* .

5) re-enable the cronjob

that, or doing a lot of 'cvs remove' and retrying dozens of times to
deal with lost connections and similar stuff, then doing lots of 'cvs
add' since 'cvs import' will not work.

> Should we get a vote before this goes live?  It's a
> pretty significant change.

nope. The doc policy: commit first, ask questions later. It should be
pretty clear to everyone that a change is underway :D

If you wanna go the above route, I need to do #1; I'm also happy to do
#2-#5. Just holler.

cheers!

- Leo