avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jetty-Phoenix
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:20:33 GMT
Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> Doing this here in Avalon is IMO much more productive.
>
> The Avalon project desperately NEEDS some kind of web connectivity. Off
> the top of my head it is the only project at Apache that doesn't have
> it. IMHO this is embarrassing. Yeah, you can say "we have a different
> focus" or "CoP is a generic technology", but at the end of the day the
> users don't care about buzzwords, they want functionality.

thanks for volunteering! :P

more seriously, Ulrich, this is an ASF community and it functions
according to the policies the ASF sets for its communities. That
sometimes includes incubation, a bit of a barrier to entry, etc etc. We
could go into a debate about whether or not it makes sense that the
things work they way they work, or we could see about getting some work
done :D

I also disagree that we don't have web connectivity. Example: cocoon. It
just works 'inside out'; but I suspect a large part of the reason no-one
is building an avalon-based webserver is that you can build an
avalon-based web application quite easily.

> And now someone comes along to finally deliver an official Avalon web
> integration layer and he is sent through incubation. I think Avalon
> should be sent through incubation instead, maybe that would clear some
> egos :)

this is not about ego. I see the smiley, but I still wonder what made
that idea pop into your head...care to elaborate?

cheers!

- LSD