avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Multithreaded Message from the Devil ;P
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 18:29:54 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
>> Anyway, fortress is /very/ close to being very usable as a nanokernel.
>> To make that happen, all that we need to do is transfer more of the
>> responsibilities to the component factories. Pico is a nice example of
>> how well this works: more and more responsibility transferred into the
>> component adapters / component adapter factories until only 50 lines
>> or so remain in the actual container code.
>
> Ok. So are you saying Fortress would be scalable enough to include Merlin's
> features as needed?

I wouldn't dare say anything as controversial as that! :P

Thing is, if you build a container out of components, then you can put
those components inside a container. Layered complexity, if you will. I
can't see why you couldn't layer merlin's features on top of fortress. I
also can't see why you can't do it the other way around.

I'm also not sure whether any of that is a good idea.

Keep in mind that the last time I tried and completely grok merlins
internals was roughly three refactorings ago. It looks rather alien to
me at the moment :D

cheers!

- LSD