avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Excalibur Logger Improvements
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 16:24:47 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> >While on this topic ... James is a Mailet container.  We have a single
log
> >channel for all Mailet log messages.  However, James might want to change
> >the priority so that a particular mailet uses DEBUG priority while others
> >are at the default.  I see that Logger.getPriority is deprecated.  What
is
> >the recommended solution?  Are we supposed to create a child logger just
> >be able to control the priority?

> Yes.

I'll have to log more into LogKit to see what help it provides to us for
managing that situation.  And yes, I have read Berin's message about
channels (log destinations) and targets (log specifiers), so I supposed we
could check for the presence of a child log for the mailet, e.g.,
"mailet.<class>", and use the mailet log if the child log is not found in
the environment.

The other thing I want to do (or see someone else do, if they've time) is to
separate out protocol logging from in-line with the rest of the service,
e.g., the SMTP server would have its normal log and a protocol log as a
child.  The latter would have just the wire-level messages.  That would
allow keeping the normal log information as part of standard administrative
practices, and allow keeping a "recent history" of wire-level transactions.
For example, I don't normally keep the wire-level data, but there are
occasions where I want to see what is happening.  Being able to have a size
limited log, keeping say the last 1MB (or N log messages) of wire-level
information (not DATA) would be helpful.

I know we can rotate on size, but what would be the easiest way to keep just
the above sort of size limited log?  Is there a suitable log implementation
already provided?

	--- Noel