avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: [RT] Pooling Pains
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2003 08:31:12 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote on Friday, October 24, 2003 10:03 AM:
> What you describe would be per-thread provided that you have
> one thread = one request.

Nope. That was not enough. To use the component again, we would have to reinitzialize it (unless
we were in the same scope and would make use of caching). Since the thread lives longer than
the request, the objects returned by the pool were in indefinate state. OTOH I suppose that
this was the basic problem, we should not have components with state at all, but I switched
the company and therefore I don't care anymore anyway <g>

> It also makes me think about what
> expectations clients have in regards to lookups. More and
> more, it seems like the lifestyle isn't a property of the
> component impl, but a combination of impl and client expectations.
>
> Is this too strong coupling, or legitimate use?

This is the normal problem with generalization and possibly wrong usage of the concepts :)

Regards,
Jörg