avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Kernel bootstrapping question
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:31:49 GMT

Alex Karasulu wrote:

><snip/>
>

>>Does it not make sense to have a single maven style repository? This
>>could provide access to versioned resources and keep them all in one
>>place. Separate user repositories for each application seems like it
>>might encourage or require duplication of common resources.
>>
>>Are there any implications for a security model?.
>>

>[Karasulu, Alex]
>
>Your right the whole purpose for a repository is for keeping things in one
>place.  However keep in mind that this so called application repository is
>really a artifact cache for the application and not a REPOSITORY REPOSITORY
>like ibiblio etc where you snarf down dependencies.  The application
>repository is the local disk cache of all the dependencies pulled down from
>the remote repo.
>
>But your question still holds does it make sense to "allow" multiple
>artifact cache' one per application.  I don't really know the answer to this
>right now because I have not encountered the use cases.  The safest approach
>I think is to allow for it and leave it up to the user to decide and
>configure.  What do you think?

By default we are enabling a single application repository
${merlin.home}/repository.  We have provided and will continue to
maintain the option for a user to override the default by declaring the
location of an alternative application repository for a particular
kernel instance.  There is nothing suggesting any policy that would
result in a 1-to-1 mapping between kernel instance and application
repository (and I don't think such a policy would be interesting or
desirable).

All we want at the end of the day is:

1 it works out the box
2. you can configure it to do different things if you want

At the end of the day this means that Merlin is providing a default
application repository but should you need something different, then the
option exists to deploy using a different repository to suite a
different application requirement (e.g. system deployment verus system
testing).

Cheers, Steve.

>Alex

Stephen J. McConnell