avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Example of Container starting in a servlet?
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:47:21 GMT

Eric Pugh wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am working with someone, getting them turned onto avalon!  Rightnow they
>are using the Fulcrum Testcontainer to write unit tests and get to
>understand how Avalon works.  I wanted to give him an example of using the
>container inside of a simple servlet.  Does anyone have an example servlet
>starting up an avalon container?  If not, is there any interest in having
>one as an example?

Filip Defoort posted a message back on the 24-OCT in which he mentioned
that he has an embedded Merlin kernel running inside a servlet. Also,
Timothy Bennett has been working on web-engine component (based on
Jetty) that runs in Merlin and handles deployment of servlets as managed
components.   Alex Karasulu and I have been working on refactoring the
embedding processes (or which there are four or five variants already)
to get that into a very clean, very smart, and very small deployment
model.  Once the refactoring is done we'll be updating all of the
embedded scenarios (unit test, command line tool, maven plugins,
web-app, etc.) to use a single embedding approach.

Also something on the agenda is web-enabling Merlin - so that you
basically deploy components as you do today, but if if your component
implements Serlet - then you get 100% servlet support as well.  I.e.
total seamless web-integration while maintaining a consitent compoent
and service management architecture.

Question for Filip - any chance you could post a patch or the sources on
the updated Merlin Servlet demo?

Cheers, Steve.

>Eric

Stephen J. McConnell