avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Defoort <fi...@cirquedigital.com>
Subject Re: merlin swing apps
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 07:52:38 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Filip Defoort wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anybody have any thoughts on pros and cons of building swing
>> applications
>> with merlin? I have a rather large swing app running in Fortress
>> right now, and
>> that's all running as expected.
>

> I would take something like kernel/unit package as an example and
> retro fit to handle the swing context (using a variant of
> DefaultEmbeddedKernel as Alex suggested).  This will let you handle
> errors, exceptions, etc.  I figure some of this will be changing but
> the changes will be based on experience gained in different embedded
> scenarios - and a swing scenario is more input.
> Cheers, Steve.

That looks easy enough indeed. I could even simply add some things in
Merlin.java: basically all
I need is some sort of splash screen (I'm using a BroadcastLogger that
displays info messages
into it while starting up) and then get to the kernel exceptions and
display them -- the actual
gui is simply a component and can easily be started..

Thinking further on that: as an intermediate step between completely
splitting my stuff in server <-> client,
is it possible to dynamically load and unload containers into an already
running Merlin kernel ?
That way I could use merlin as an NT service and load all the stuff that
takes a while to load,
but when the user loads the gui, simply contact the NT service and drop
the gui container in the
kernel, which would come up nice and fast and have access to all the
services of the container...
Is this possible ??

Thanks for the input so far!
- Filip