avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jetty-Phoenix
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:21:58 GMT

peter royal wrote:

> On Monday, October 20, 2003, at 05:32  AM, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
>
>> The Avalon project desperately NEEDS some kind of web connectivity.
>> Off the top of my head it is the only project at Apache that doesn't
>> have it. IMHO this is embarrassing. Yeah, you can say "we have a
>> different focus" or "CoP is a generic technology", but at the end of
>> the day the users don't care about buzzwords, they want functionality.
>

> It already has it: Sevak
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/avalon-sandbox/sevak/

IMO servak is insufficient.

You have to go a big step beyond the idea of a web-server component -
and instead - think about the container as the web-server.  Imagine a
web-server that is containment platform.  Imagine that the containement
platform is extended to provide an HTTP interaction and session
management layer.  Then you are starting to move from wrapper to
integrated SOA/WSA.  Integration of web-services with a
service-oriented-architecture is the big picture.

Wrappers solve problems - but they don't break now ground.

Stephen.

> -pete

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org