avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [merlin] auto-decommissioning
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2003 22:42:40 GMT

hammett wrote:

> [...]

It depends on which snapshot you were looked at - it was either the old
"TODO: add weak references" or the current version where the weak
references are in place.  In the current version the transient lifestyle
handler maintains a queue of weak references that have been garbage
collected.  It also maintains a list of soft references to instances
created. The list is required so that the handler can decommission the
compoent it has established during its own disposal cycle.  The queue of
garbage collected objects provides the information I need to be able to
compact the list of weak references.

With this change there are only two know memory problem - logkit
categories and container removal from the meta model.  If I'm running
Merlin for months on end without restart, and if there are continual
creation of log catagories, and the components are destroyed, I'm still
left with logkit logging channels in memory.  Basically I need to dig
into logkit and change the Logger hard references to WeakReferences.
For the meta-model I need to to do some thingking about possibilities
for auto removal of containers that are no longer referenced.

Stephen.

>hammett

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org