avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [merlin] auto-decommissioning
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:06:54 GMT

Alexis Agahi wrote:

>On Thursday 16 October 2003 21:43, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>>Recent updates to the Merlin platform in CVS include support for
>>auto-decomissioning of components that are no longer referenced.
>>The following log is a very simple demonstration testcase that
>>creates a bunch of non-referenced components, invokes the garbage
>>collector, and logs the resulting component decommissioning by
>>Merlin.
>>
>>   [junit] Running playground.StandardTestCase
>>   INFO   ] (testcase): Creating a bunch of hello instance
>>   INFO   ] (template.hello): initialization as: 6829042
>>   INFO   ] (template.hello): initialization as: 26030331
>>   INFO   ] (template.hello): initialization as: 9089167
>>   INFO   ] (template.hello): initialization as: 21860890
>>   INFO   ] (template.hello): initialization as: 28517927
>>   INFO   ] (testcase): running gc
>>   INFO   ] (template.hello): disposal: 6829042
>>   INFO   ] (template.hello): disposal: 26030331
>>   INFO   ] (template.hello): disposal: 9089167
>>   INFO   ] (template.hello): disposal: 21860890
>>   INFO   ] (template.hello): disposal: 28517927
>>   INFO   ] (testcase): gc done
>>   [junit] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 2.109 sec
>>
>>Note that this is achieved *without* invoking release( object ).
>>
>>Am now looking into achiving the same thing with pooled objectes.
>>

>this is a *really* cool feature! I would qualify it as a quatum leap in merlin
>component manager history :))

LOL - I thought you would like it!

>thx a lot steve.
>For some applications, it was really hard to invoke the release using the
>appropriate service manager. Having such feature will simplify a lot.

Yep.

>Does this means that you should set as deprecated the "release" method of
>service manager, since explicite release is not required any more?

Theoretically - yes - providing I sort out an equivalent strategy with
respect to pooled objects.  The only thing I really need to do is to
check if a component is reclaimable in which case it gets recommissioned
and posted back to the pool, otherwise it gets decommissioned.  The
immediate issue concerns a pool implementation the leveragers the meta
model.  I'm going over the excalibur mpool stuff at the moment and
trying to figure out if I should be reusing this or not. Current
thinking is that I would need to take the concepts and reimpliment under
the composition and activation packages in a way that leverages the meta
model and activation context.

Stephen.

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org