avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Repository listing
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:20:01 GMT

Yannick Menager wrote:

> great, what are you guys waiting to for to implement that ? LOL... ;)
> Just kidding, I'm all tooooooo aware of the temporal constraints most
> of us are under :)

Peter Courcoux has been working on embedding Merlin inside a web app and
Timothy Bennett has been working on a web server component.  I've also
been looking at what we could do to leverage Turbine for dynamic content
generation, content registration, and customized content delivery.  I.e.
the pieces are comming together.  What would be double plus plus
interesting is a web app that has access to a local repository and is
handling incomming http requests.  If we can redirect those requests to
a backend set of repository services - we will have a really nice
framework for plug-in server side repository intelligence.  The way DPML
is setup - we can address the entire maven repository on ibiblio at the
file system level.  I.e. doing the evolutionary  jump.

Cheers, Steve.

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> Yannick Menager wrote:
>>
>>> I was thinking of writing a GUI tool to help assemble merlin
>>> applications, and It would have been nice if it could just go to the
>>> repository and list retrieve a list of all available components.
>>>
>>> Unless I'm wrong, at this moment that is not possible unless i was
>>> to do some screen scrapping of the index.htmls, which would be a
>>> huge PITA ( not to mention might not work if the remote repository
>>> customised those pages ).
>>

>> Spit, cough, spit, spit!
>>

>>> It would be then nice to have a standard listing file, with details
>>> about all the components available in the remote repository.
>>>
>>> What do you guys think ?
>>

>> DPML is a Digital Product Meta Libaray.  DPML was created in order to
>> be able to play around with exactly the sort of things your thinking
>> of.  What I would like to see is DPML functioning as the intellient
>> gateway to the repository.  Over RMI I want to get back serialized
>> descriptions of deployment meta-data, or automated content generation
>> over http, or redirecting request to other repositories. Getting a
>> web app in place for dynamic content browsing should not be so hard -
>> an server handling RMI requests will take a little more effort
>> (infrastructure as opposed to technical overhead).  Whatever - DPML
>> should be able to deliver the services we need based on the
>> technology we create here at Avalon.
>>
>> Cheers, Steve.

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org