avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Startable doesn't has a isRunning() interface ?
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 00:37:42 GMT

Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Thursday 09 October 2003 02:50, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>>Under the current Startable model, the container has no way of
>>assuring service availablity.  I.e. under the current interfaces its the
>>component to container communication between startup and shutdown that
>>remains undefined.
>>

>Back to the discussion surrounding dynamic service availability, asynchronous
>binding of services and allowing clients to handle intermittent disruption of
>service...

Exactly!

>So if that was in place, for instance a thread crash would just allow the
>service to announce that it is not available, do a restart of itself (with
>help of container I guess) and then announce available later.

Its the service availablity question that *is* a container concerns
becuase its the container that is taking on the responsibility of wiring
up solutions and by inference - solution assurance.

Stephen.

p.s. What is the title of your recent aquisition?

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org