avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Startable doesn't has a isRunning() interface ?
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2003 16:53:03 GMT

Jonathan Hawkes wrote:

>Yes.  An isRunning() method would not be useful to the container.  The
>container knows whether the startable isRunning or not (ie: it has called
>start() and not stop() ).

Yeeees .. but!

Consdider the component in question has been started. The component gets
everything it needs from the container and goes about its business and in
the case of a startable component this typically means that the component
is creating its own thread of execution.  Assuming that something goes
wrong - there is not contractual interface through which the component
can notify the container that it's execution thread has terminated.

I think the real underlying issue here is component/container
responsibility. Who should be creating and supervising/monitoring the
thread - the component or the container?

Stephen.

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org