avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] avalon (merlin) == safe == programmer effort
Date Sat, 04 Oct 2003 16:32:55 GMT

Leo Simons wrote:

> hammett wrote:
>
>>> (as opposed to the conceptually very clean avalon-style
>>> configuration where a component is allowed to "read" from its
>>> configuration, but the configuration itself is passive),
>>

>> Biased! Biased! :-p
>

> ROTFL! Me? Nah..... ;)
>
> Seriously, one could only consider it conceptually very clean, don't
> you think?
>
> The avalon picture
> ------------------
> - a container is responsible for finding/creating the configuration
> according to preset rules (delegating this responsibility to a
> specialized component of course), usually allowing for various people
> in various roles (end users, assemblers, component writers) to follow
> various contracts to define the configuration,
>
> - a configuration object is then responsible only for existing
> (implementing the Configuration interface)
>
> - a component is responsible for obeying the directives provided to it
> by the container in the form of the configuration it receives (and
> complaining if it doesn't know how).
>
> Clean. Add in some more enforcable rules (like requiring component
> authors to provide a container-verifiable schema for the configuration
> format (like a DTD for XML) and component configurators to follow that
> schema), and, save for bugs, all behaviour is completely
> deterministic. Clean, safe, sound, understandable.
>
> The downside? In practice, especially with java and xml, it means way
> many lines of code to write.

Is this really the case?  If a container does not provide the clean,
safe, sound and understandable context then your simply transferring the
responsibility to the component implementation to clean-up its act,
practice safe sex, demonstrate soundness of judgement, while maintaining
understandable code.

Given a scenario of one container, 1,000 component developers, and a
conservative 20 components per developer ... now let's imaging that each
developer writes 10 amazingly efficient lines of code in order to
facilitate responsible component semantics relative to the safe-sex
viewpoint.  This means that we have a total 10x20x1000 lines of code
dealing with safe-sex from a number of different positions.  That's
200,000 lines of code - and we only dealing with one viewpoint!

The alternative is to push safe-sex handling over to the container.
Let's assume that a container deals with this with perhaps 200 lines of
code (taking into account a broad spectrum of positional variations).
What we have is three order of magnitude improvement in the efficiency
and maintainability relative to the problems space.

> Note: its perfectly possible to write a very dynamic scripted
> avalon-framework container. It just happens to be the case that avalon
> (especially with Merlin) is moving further and further into the sound
> and safe, predictable and verifiable corner. In fact, some people
> (like Steve) assert that a container which is not predictable is a Bad
> Thing(tm). Me, I strongly disagree with that assertion :D
>

> The scripted picture
> --------------------
> - a container will look for a configuration script according to preset
> rules and run it according to some more rules
>
> - a configuration script had better exist and follow the rules
>
> - a component is not required to do anything special
>
> You lift some responsibility from the component and from the container
> at the price of requiring the end user to write a sensible
> configuration script or suffer the consequences.
>
> The upside? Every piece in this system is a lot simpler, and usually
> you end up with less lines of code everywhere.
>
> The balance
> -----------
> You have a few axes that are not orthogonal:
>
>     clean       <---------------------------> dirty
>     safe        <---------------------------> unsafe
>     complex     <---------------------------> simple
>     static      <---------------------------> flexible
>     much effort <---------------------------> little effort
>
> Sacrifice some conceptual cleanness and predictability and you end up
> with a system that is both simpler and more flexible, and, most
> importantly, requires less typing.

Just so I understand the arguments here ... what you saying is that we
have this dirty little unsafe container.  And, the principal redeeming
quality is the attribute of an absence of thought - woops, sorry - effort.

Ok, I'm hooked, let's go with the flow ;-)

> Choice
> ------
> In a banking application, you had better make sure that a
> misconfiguration does not ever result in anything bad happening. I
> wouldn't want scriptable ATMs. In your average web server, its okay if
> a web page decides to topple over every now and then, as long as it is
> easily and quickly fixed.

BZZZZT (private joke)

Doesn't work in a COP scenario.  You don't know in what context your
component will be deployed - and without some notion of "quality of
environment", your strategy destroys the potential for component reuse.
Sure, if you have a bunch of dirty little components with all of the
benefits of street-smart wits, running in a dirty little container,
sure, you have economies of scale.  On the other-hand, maybe I'm missing
the point ... but ... could you explain to me again why this is a good
thing?

:-)

Cheers, Steve.

(a dirty little developer brought up in a dirty big container)

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org