avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Excalibur Logger Improvements
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 16:39:05 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>>Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>

>>>While on this topic ... James is a Mailet container.  We have a
>>>single log channel for all Mailet log messages.  However, James
>>>might want to change the priority so that a particular mailet uses
>>>DEBUG priority while others are at the default.  I see that
>>>Logger.getPriority is deprecated.  What is the recommended
>>>solution?  Are we supposed to create a child logger just to be
>>>able to control the priority?
>>>

>>Yes.
>>

>I'll have to log more into LogKit to see what help it provides to us for
>managing that situation.  And yes, I have read Berin's message about
>channels (log destinations) and targets (log specifiers), so I supposed we
>could check for the presence of a child log for the mailet, e.g.,
>"mailet.<class>", and use the mailet log if the child log is not found in
>the environment.
>
>The other thing I want to do (or see someone else do, if they've time) is to
>separate out protocol logging from in-line with the rest of the service,
>e.g., the SMTP server would have its normal log and a protocol log as a
>child.  The latter would have just the wire-level messages.  That would
>allow keeping the normal log information as part of standard administrative
>practices, and allow keeping a "recent history" of wire-level transactions.
>For example, I don't normally keep the wire-level data, but there are
>occasions where I want to see what is happening.  Being able to have a size
>limited log, keeping say the last 1MB (or N log messages) of wire-level
>information (not DATA) would be helpful.
>
>I know we can rotate on size, but what would be the easiest way to keep just
>the above sort of size limited log?  Is there a suitable log implementation
>already provided?

The way I deal with this is to create child loggers to seperate out
these sort of concerns.  In the SMTP server you are suipplied a logger
and in the code you can invoke something like:

   Logger protocolLogger = getLogger().getChildLogger( "protocol" );

In you log configration you should be able to declare a seperate
priority and possible seperate target for the james.smtp.protocol
logging category.

Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell