avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Excalibur Logger Improvements
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 12:45:46 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Berin,
>
> While on this topic ... James is a Mailet container.  We have a single log
> channel for all Mailet log messages.  However, James might want to change
> the priority so that a particular mailet uses DEBUG priority while others
> are at the default.  I see that Logger.getPriority is deprecated.  What is
> the recommended solution?  Are we supposed to create a child logger just to
> be able to control the priority?

Not necessarily.

Note the distinction between "channel" and "target".

Each "channel" represents the destination for a set of log entries.  For
instance, the mailet.log file.  A channel might send the log entries to more
than one location, but it is only one definition for a destination for log
entries.

Each "target" represents a named scope for log messages.  In essence, you might
have each mailet have individual targets like this: mailet.spamassassin,
mailet.autorespond, mailet.avalon.mail-list.  These targets not only help you
sort out what log entry is for which mailet, but they also allow you to provide
a different priority and channel set for each target.

Both Log4J and LogKit allow you to do this, and the LogKit config file separates
it into separate sections in the same file (not the best, but bear with me for
a minute):

We define a set of channels:

mailet.log     -> The mailet log channel
james.log      -> Everything else

Then we define our targets:

mailet.spamassassin
    uses mailet.log with DEBUG priority

mailet.autorespond
    uses mailet.log with INFO priority

mailet.avalon.mail-list
    uses mailet.log with INFO priority
    uses james.log with ERROR priority

See the distinction?  I believe that this is something that Stephen wants in a
clearer format than what is in the Excalibur Logger package.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin