avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Excalibur Logger - questions
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 13:57:24 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> I'm starting to dig though Excalibur Logger with the objective of
>> sorting out integration of this package into the Merlin Kernel.
>> Looking a the test cases - things are not so clear. Would it be
>> better to look at Fortress handling of the LoggingManager setup?  Any
>> hints/suggestions welcome.
>

> That would be best.  Really, the process isn't so hard, its just
> confusing
> because of the legacy crap in there.

Your not wrong!

If I look at the interfaces - we have LoggerManager which is primary
service interface.  Also in the package are a bunch of interfaces
related to LogTargets.  These interfaces reference LogKit (e.g.
org.apache.log.LogTarget).    So in fact - what we have is parts of
LogKit are making up the API and parts of logkit are used as one of
multiple possible implementations.

I'm just wondering if it would make sence to think about Excalibur
Logger V2 as a clean LogKit independent SPI without the legacy content
backed with plugable implementations.

Any thoughts?

Steve.

--