avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject RE: DefaultKernel usage for unit
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:35:45 GMT
> >Are there any foreseeable problems with using the DefaultKernel in the
> base
> >unit test case?  I have been looking at the same code for a while: the

[Karasulu, Alex]
<snip/>

> Yep.
>
> Maven puts everything into the classloader that is supplied to the test
> case.  I wanted to totally isolate the kernel from Maven with the
> exception of API and client classes.  I.e. real component/container
> seperation.  The way I achieved that was to execute the kernel in a
> seperate thread and assign a clean classloader hierachy to the thread.
> This means that the kernel is running with only the kernel content and
> deploying components based on pure block directives.  The test cases
> pull in service as needed.  I.e. no classloader conflicts between Merlin
> and Maven.

 [Karasulu, Alex]

I knew I was trying to over simplify things!  I see now.  How can we still
achieve these goals which are critical for correctly testing the user's
components while consolidating the use of a single Kernel implementation? Or
is this not possible?

I'll do some research into how we can fire up the DefaultKernel in the impl
project within the unit project within a separate thread.

Thanks again,
Alex