avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject user.home vs. user.dir
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:08:13 GMT
Steve,

I did some research here since it perplexes me ;-).  In short here are some
of my conclusions:

${user.home}, the user's home directory, should be non-null

${user.dir}, the user's working directory can be null in environments where
shell/dir context is undefined like a Servlet container.

> >>still open - (a) we cannot assume that ${user.home} is non-null.  The
> >>are situations where a null value can be returned in a servlet
> >>
> >I never knew that user.home with a servlet env would be null - you never
> stop learning.  I thought it would be the home of the user who started the
> JVM.

[Karasulu, Alex]

I think you meant to say user.dir instead of user.home in your last email.

BU,
Alex