avalon-dev mailing list archives

From <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Re: embedding strategies?
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:32:25 GMT
> > Actually LDAP filters which are basically the where part of a SQL query are
> > much more simple than SQL.  Here is a simple example of an LDAP search
> > filter.
>
> okok, I was not trying to say that one is better than another, just telling
> that some might prefere sql to ldap for application due to global software
> architecture.

Sorry man if I sound pushy or defensive I try to make as exacting a distinction as possible
between the two technologies since this has been a sore point between the LDAP and RDBMS camps.

> > LDAP is not transactional and I don't really think it should have to be.
>
> sure?
> how be sure to have a real coherent directory all the time?

Some people are trying to make LDAP transactional.  There are proposed extentions out there
that are trying to explore the concept.  However the directory is not for OLTP.

> > Does this make more sense? Do you agree with the different means to store
> > these different kinds of information?
>
> no problem ;)
> you're the boss

Please don't think I'm trying to push concepts that's the last thing I want to do is give
you that impression.  I ask questions to make sure people understand my writing and reasoning.

> > ;) Dreams are the begining.  I firmly believe in the fact that if you can
> > imagine it, good science can materialize it.  Dreams are the innovative
> > aspects and the rest is just mechanics.  We can build what we imagine.
> > There are no limits.
>
> damned ! you're so enthusiastic that I can feel you motivation gaining my
> brain!
> Lets code and graal will reveal itself! :)

;-) I must sound like this motivational speaker dude http://www.tonyrobbins.com/.  Going to
his site has gotta squeeze a laugh or two out of you ;).

Cheers,
Alex