avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Alexis Agahi <a...@users.sf.net>
Subject Re: [RT] My Merlin Wish List
Date Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:08:30 GMT
On Sunday 19 October 2003 01:49, J Aaron Farr wrote:
> > > Embeddable Merlin containers
> > >    servlets
> >
> > you mean tomcat/jerry running as a merlin service OR merlin running as a
> > tomcat/jetty war? ;)
>
> Both of course! :)
>
> Actually, there's a couple things that would be cool here:
>   - Tomcat/Jetty running as merlin service
>   - An Avalon light weight servlet container (which adds avalon
> lifecycle support to servlets)
>   - Easy way to access Avalon services from within service, action, etc.
> (this can be done via AltRMI or JNDI, but we need to put together docs
> and examples)
>
> I'm not very familiar with Turbine, but it would be nice to see Turbine
> services running in Fortress and Merlin without too much trouble.

how about have a mbean-merlin-service that could run most of JBoss service
such as (hsqldb, tomcat, jetty etc...)?
I dont know if it is possible, but I can try to check if I can run tomcat as
mbean.

> > Is there a wiki somewhere?
>
> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?AvalonProjectPages

thx

> > Eclipse seems to have a nice plugin orianted approach with tons of
> > example everywhere.
>
> The one thing about eclipse that I couldn't stand was the workspace
> concept, but I perhaps I just don't understand it correctly.

I admit that it is not really obvious concept, but after 2weeks of usage (I'm
an eclipse newbie), I would say that there is good potential. I assume that
3.0 will be a real nice product. BTW most of the software dev working in
*Dilbert* corp are now using eclipse (12Millons download ;)), so maybe we
should stay democratic.

One nice feature would be avalon-meta support (especially in refactor stage,
when renaming a class), and block.xml synchronization. I dont have exact
idea, but I think this would reduce some common error.